Getting Started with OVMS v3.1
A few pointers for those about to get started with OVMS v3.1.
Firstly, there is a short unboxing video on youtube. It gives a short overview of what is in the kit, and what you need to do to get started:
Work on the user guide has begun, but is just starting and the document is expected to evolve rapidly over the coming few weeks. You can always find the latest version here:
The firmware is also continually evolving on a daily basis, and the development team regularly releases updates for over-the-air download and install. In these early days of production v3.1, it is important that you update your firmware on a regular basis. Please make sure you are running the latest firmware before reporting an issue.
The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a wifi client, and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.
Please remember that this first production batch is intended for experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers, and note:
* Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta.
* Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet.
* Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc).
* Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface.
* Vehicle support currently includes: Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, and Tesla Roadster.
For existing OVMS v1 or v2 users, please login to www.openvehicles.com, then click My Account, then Vehicles. You will see coupon codes for both Fasttech and Hologram.
If you do experience a problem, or need assistance, please start by talking to other OVMS v3.1 users/developers in your area. If you still can't solve the issue, then eMail firstname.lastname@example.org. Software issues can be reported directly to the project GitHub issue tracker here:
Thank you for your support of the project.